In the Kitchen with Jose
Conejito's Place has been a staple of Milwaukee's South Side since it was opened in 1972, by Jose "Conejito" Garza.
In 1957, Jose moved to Milwaukee from his native Monterrey, Mexico to work in a tannery. He was turned down for this position, but later found work
as a butcher at Wilke Meats in Walker's Point. During this time he began bar tending and became popular with the local customers due to his outgoing nature.
In 1968, he decided to open his first bar located at 714 S. 6th Street.
Although successful, the bar was destroyed by fire a few years later. Jose relocated to 6th and
Virginia in 1972, to open Conejito's Place in its current location. Originally serving drinks only,
Jose began offering a limited menu including tacos, which were popular with customers.
He decided to expend the menu to include traditional Mexican food such as Chicken & Mole,
Enchiladas, and Tostadas, and quickly became one of the top Mexican restaurants in Milwaukee.
Conejito's Place was expanded in the 1990s to include an additional bar and party room,
as well as a larger kitchen to accommodate the busy restaurant. Little has changed on the
menu since the beginning. Jose's favorites are still loved by fans across the country;
a visit to Milwaukee isn't complete without a night with friends at Conejito's Place.
Jose is dearly missed by his family as well as his many friends since his passing in 2010.
He considered his staff as an extended family, and showed his great generosity to both staff
and customers alike. We continue to keep Jose's sprit alive in our service to our loyal customers
as well as to the community we serve.
Conejito's Favorites in the Jukebox